We all know about kegels. The apparent cure all for urinary incontinence, vaginal health, and a better sex life. But what about cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery for vaginal rejuvenation? What if a board certified plastic surgeon could help improve vaginal dryness, vaginal tissue, urinary incontinence, vaginal health, vaginal laxity, and overall vaginal appearance (learn more in our guide to Female Sexual Wellness Concerns)? Through vaginal rejuvenation procedures, concerns related to aging, genetics, pregnancies, or environmental factors can be safely and effectively addressed.
Who may consider vaginal rejuvenation?
A quick recap of vaginal anatomy. The vagina is a muscular and elastic canal running from the cervix to the vulva. The vaginal walls and surrounding structures are composed of skin tissue, connective tissue, and smooth muscle. The hymen is a thin layer of skin at the opening of the vagina. The labia majora and the labia minora are the skin folds around the vaginal opening. The clitoris lies towards the front of the body and is covered by the clitoral hood. The perineum is the section of skin running from the vagina to the anus.
Aging, pregnancies, genetics, weight changes, and environmental factors can cause concerns in one or more of these areas. A general overview is outlined below:
- Vaginal Skin Laxity: Decreases in soft tissue integrity in and around the vagina due to aging, pregnancies, or weight loss can cause skin sagging.
- Labia Shape & Size: Labia size and shape is mostly a matter of aesthetic, however, some women may experience interference with daily activities due to overly large labia.
- Hymen Repair: The hymen may be broken through sexual intercourse, exercise, or tampon use. A hymen repair can recreate an intact hymen.
- Sexual Wellness: Shots to stimulate cell growth and blood flow are believed to increase sexual pleasure, sensation, and orgasm.
What can you expect from vaginal rejuvenation?
Vaginal rejuvenation procedures can be used to not only alter and/or restore vaginal appearance, but also improve function relating to sexual pleasure, lubrication, and incontinence.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation: These procedures are targeted to the vagina and surrounding structures. They can be used to tone, tighten, and improve aesthetic.
- Labiaplasty: Surgical procedures specifically targeted to altering the appearance of the labia majora and/or labia minora.
- Hymenoplasty: A surgical procedure to restore the hymen.
- Injectables: The shots are believed to help improve sexual pleasure, sensation, and orgasm.
Depending on the technique utilized, recovery times will vary. Invasive procedures will require activity limitations, including limitations on sexual activity. Less invasive procedures will have little to no downtime.
When should you consider a vaginal rejuvenation procedure?
Most of the procedures listed will be impacted by aging, further pregnancies, and sexual intercourse. Some may also be affected by significant weight gain or weight loss. A good time to pursue a procedure is when you are in generally good health, at a stable weight, have reasonable expectations, and can limit activities appropriately during recovery.
Why should you consider a vaginal rejuvenation procedure?
Vaginal rejuvenation procedures can be used to improve both aesthetic and function. For women who have had multiple pregnancies, or who are experiencing the natural effects of aging, rejuvenation procedures can tone and tighten the vaginal area to restore previous appearance. Some procedures also have the ability to improve sexual pleasure and orgasm.
Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedures
Multiple techniques to refine and alter the structures in and around the vagina for both aesthetic and functional improvements.
A labiaplasty procedure can be used to alter the appearance of the labia majora or the labia minora to alter the overall appearance of the vulva.
This surgical procedure is used to restore a damaged hymen.
Injectables for Sexual Pleasure
These temporary injectables are believed to increase sexual pleasure and satisfaction by targeting the most sensitive areas of the female genitalia.
Women‘s health is so much more than annual visits to the gynecologist. New treatment options in the fields of plastic surgery and cosmetic gynecology are providing women with the opportunity to address vaginal health and sexual health concerns under the guidance of a board certified plastic surgeon.