Minor Surgical Procedure
$1000 - $5000
What is an areola reduction?
An areola reduction is a plastic surgery procedure to alter the appearance of the areola. The areola is the area of hyperpigmented skin around the nipple. The color and size varies significantly between individuals, and can be affected by aging, weight changes, pregnancy, and breastfeeding. An Areola Reduction can change the size, shape, and position of the areola on the breast.
The Anatomy of the Female Breast
What cosmetic concerns does an areola reduction procedure treat?
- Nipple Shape & Size: Removal of skin strategically around and within the areola area allows for alterations to appearance and positioning.
- Mommy Makeover: Changes to the appearance of the areola during pregnancy and breastfeeding can create an undesirable appearance which can be corrected through a reduction procedure.
Who is the ideal candidate for an areola reduction procedure?
The ideal candidate for an areola reduction is seeking to correct the appearance of the areola for cosmetic reasons. An Areola Reduction is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or those seeking corrections to large nipples or nipple inversion.
What is the average recovery associated with an areola reduction procedure?
Most patients experience about one week of acute recovery following an areola reduction. Many candidates return to work within one to two days. Strenuous activity and chest contact should be avoided for six weeks.
What are the potential side effects of an areola reduction procedure?
Possible side effects following an areola reduction include asymmetry, infection, heightened sensitivity, loss of sensation, loss of pigment, and visible scarring.
What can someone expect from the results of an Areola Reduction procedure?The results of an areola reduction are permanent enhancements to the areola appearance. The results will finalize within one year as the body heals. The results will be affected by weight gain, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.
What is the average cost of an areola reduction procedure?
An areola reduction can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. The actual cost of an areola reduction is dependent upon location, board certified plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the plastic surgery.
- Increased Confidence
- Improved Aesthetics
- Possible Scarring
- Possible Asymmetry
- Possible Changes In Sensation
What to Expect
An areola reduction can be performed to permanently change the size and shape of the areola. Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after an areola reduction.
- Stop taking blood thinning medications 2 weeks before the procedure
- Stop smoking 4 weeks before and after surgery
- No alcohol 2 days prior
- Do not eat or drink anything 6 hours prior
- Preoperative markings to indicate new areola size
- Local anesthesia
- Incisions made around areola
- Excess tissue undermined and removed
- Dissolvable sutures to close
- Extra permanent stitch made to prevent tension
- Protective dressing applied
Immediately After Treatment
- Bruising and swelling
An areola reduction is a plastic surgery to alter the appearance of the areola-the hyperpigmented skin surrounding the nipple. This cosmetic surgery can enhance the appearance and position of the areola.