Minor Surgical Procedure
$2500 - $10000
What is submental liposuction?
Submental liposuction is a plastic surgery procedure to reduce excess fat deposits in the submental fat pad which lies below the chin and jaw. This cosmetic surgery can be used to reduce the appearance of a double chin, remove unwanted fat, and contour the chin, neck, and jaw.
Submental liposuction is typically performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia and only uses small incisions. Some candidates choose to pursue a neck lift or facelift as well to further enhance results. An alternative to this facial plastic surgery is Kybella, an FDA approved injectable to reduce excess fat in the submental area.
What cosmetic concerns does submental liposuction treat?
- Neck & Jaw Definition: Removal of fat from the submental fat pad can contour the neck and jawline.
- Chin Shape & Size: The removal of fat from the submental fat pad can also simultaneously refine the chin.
Who is the ideal candidate for submental liposuction?
The ideal candidate for submental liposuction is seeking to reduce the appearance of the submental fat pad. Submental Liposuction is not recommended for those with insufficient levels of body fat, those with certain chronic medical conditions, or those seeking to alter bony structures of the face and neck.
What is the average recovery associated with submental liposuction?
Most patients experience a few days of downtime following submental liposuction. Bruising, tenderness, and swelling lessen within the first week, however, swelling may last up to six weeks.
What are the potential side effects of submental liposuction?
Possible side effects following a submental liposuction include altered sensations at the treated area, swelling, redness, tenderness, bruising, scar formation, infection, and itchiness at the treatment area.
What can someone expect from the results of submental liposuction?
The results of submental liposuction will be visible immediately following the procedure, however, they will continue to improve over a few weeks as swelling subsides. The results will be subject to weight gain and aging.
What is the average cost of submental liposuction?
A submental liposuction procedure can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000. The actual cost of submental liposuction is dependent upon location, board certified plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the plastic surgery.
What to Expect
Submental liposuction is a surgical fat reduction procedure. Here is a general guide for what to expect before, during, and after submental liposuction use:
- Stop taking blood thinning medications one week prior
- Stop smoking four weeks before and after the procedure
- Stop ephedrines, diet, asthma, and thyroid medications two days prior
- No caffeine after midnight the day of the procedure
- Small incision near the treatment area and infiltration with numbing agent
- Cannula inserted to loosen and suction fat cells
Immediately After Surgery
- Slight swelling, discomfort, muscle soreness, and bruising
- Compression garment applied
Submental liposuction is a well practiced and effective procedure to reduce the appearance of the submental fat pad for chin, neck, and jaw contouring.