Lip Reduction Solutions
For a subtler lip, numerous procedures exist to perfect size and, if needed, amend previous cosmetic implants and fillers.
- The Skinny
- Big Lip Concerns
- Lip Reduction Solutions
- The Takeaway
- Source List
Although lip augmentation procedures are more common, lip reduction procedures are regularly performed by plastic surgeons to reduce overly large lips or correct previous lip enhancement procedures to the upper lip or lower lip. These procedures can be surgical lip lifts or minimally invasive injections of filler-dissolving agents. Concerns over genetically large lips or a desire to alter a previous cosmetic surgery can be effectively addressed with a lip reduction procedure (check out our full guide to lip size).
Who needs lip reduction?
Lip reducing plastic surgery procedures with a board certified plastic surgeon can be considered for both medical and cosmetic reasons. While lip abnormalities affecting daily function (like large lips or severe lip deformity) may require more extensive intervention, many lip reduction techniques for appearance or to correct previous procedures can be performed simply and effectively oftentimes as outpatient procedures. (1)
What can you expect from lip reduction procedures?
Most procedures to reduce lip size are surgical with long lasting results. As with any operation, one can expect a few weeks of recovery time, limitations on activity, and possible temporary modifications to their diet (2)
When should you consider a lip reduction procedure?
Cosmetic lip reductions can be performed electively at any time assuming a candidate is in otherwise good health, can refrain from smoking around the time of the procedure, and is prepared for the accompanying recovery. (2, 3)
Why should you consider lip reduction?
A reduction procedure can be used to enhance natural appearance by removing excess tissue, amend previous augmentations, and, in rare cases, correct medical pathologies. Anyone looking to improve their existing features and facial symmetry can consider a lip reduction procedure. (2)
The Anatomy of the Lip
Lip Reduction Procedures
Depending on the concern, there are lip reduction surgical procedures that alter lip tissue and structure, or minimally invasive filler reversal agents to correct a previous cosmetic procedure. These procedures are outlined below.
- Overview: A versatile permanent surgery that can generally be completed under local anesthesia in less than one hour. It can be used to improve appearance, correct medical pathologies, or remove previously placed augmenting substances.
- Cost: $1,500 - $4,000
- Recovery & Results: Recovery generally occurs within one to three weeks, and results are permanent.
Dissolving Filler with Hyaluronidase
- Overview: While most fillers dissolve on their own in six to 12 months, injections of a chemical agent can dissolve fillers in as little as three to four days.
- Cost: $100 - $1,500
- Recovery & Results: Few to no side effects have been reported with these procedures. Results can be seen in less than one week.
While not as common as lip augmentation procedures, numerous cosmetic plastic surgery methods exist to reduce overly large lips and create an ideal appearance. Reductions can also be utilized to correct previous cosmetic procedures. Regardless of patient concern, the perfect lip is always within reach with the help of a board certified plastic surgeon. (1,2,3)
(1) Maloney, BP. “Cosmetic Surgery of the Lips.” Facial Plast Surg, vol. 12, no. 3, 1996, pp. 265–278., doi:10.1055/s-0028-1082417.
(2) Fanous N, Brousseau VJ, Yoskovitch A. “The ‘bikini lip reduction’: A detailed approach to hypertrophic lips.” Can J Plast Surg. 2007 Winter; 15(4): 205–210.
(3) Niamtu J. “Lip Reduction Surgery (Reduction Cheiloplasty).” Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2010 Feb;18(1):79-97.