Try on Eyebrow & Eyelash Restoration Solutions
‘Try on’ aesthetic procedures and instantly visualize possible results with AEDIT and our patented 3D aesthetic simulator.
Hair follicles — they’re everywhere. But sometimes the distribution just isn’t right and too much or too little hair on the lash line and in the brow region can be cause for the creation of daily rituals (check out our complete guide to Eyebrow & Eyelash Concerns). When natural lashes and brows don’t cut it, eye makeup, skincare products, false lashes, and over-the-counter eyebrow and eyelash enhancement serums begin to litter our medicine cabinets. If you are seeking more permanent solutions to longer lashes, darker lashes, thicker lashes, or improved brow shape and brow volume, then a consultation with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon may have you clearing up some space in your vanity.
Who may consider eyebrow and eyelash restoration?
Eyebrow and eyelash appearance can greatly enhance the eyes and face. Men and women of any age may experience dissatisfactory lash or brow appearance for a myriad of reasons.
Genetics, follicle damage (think years of plucking and waxing), medications, and certain medical illnesses (especially thyroid disorders) can cause lack of fullness, shape, and volume. To better classify individual concerns, below is a general outline of the subcategories of eyelash and eyebrow concerns:
- Sparse Eyebrows: A sparse brow is one that lacks volume and fullness most likely due to inadequate hair follicles.
- Eyebrow Shape: Secondary to distribution of hair follicles, some brows lack adequate definition, curve, and thickness.
- Eyelash Length: Length is primarily controlled by genetics and perception of length is mostly personal. Short lashes can falsely appear as lacking in volume.
- Eyelash Volume: Volume is controlled by the amount and distribution of hair follicles along the lash line. When it comes to volume, the more the better.
- Sparse Eyelashes: Like sparse brows, lashes with inadequate follicle volume will appear thin and lacking fullness.
What can you expect from eyebrow and eyelash restoration?
Both surgical and non-surgical procedures exist to restore, enhance, and refine eyebrow and eyelash appearance. The level of invasiveness and magnitude of results will depend on the procedure.
- Surgical Procedures: Hair transplant or, more specifically, eyelash implants or eyebrow transplants utilize procedures similar to regular scalp hair transplants. Individual healthy hair follicles are taken from one area of the body, and reimplanted in the brow area or along the lash line. This creates a permanent and more natural restoration.
- Non-Surgical Procedures: Less invasive and temporary procedures like eyelash extensions, an eyelash lift, a topical medication (Latisse®), microblading, and hair removal (threading and waxing) can alter brow shape and/or enhance fullness and volume of the lash and brow.
Surgical procedures are more invasive, but also produce more permanent results. Less invasive non surgical procedures generally require maintenance treatments, but have fewer side effects. Amongst the non surgical options, some produce immediate results while others may require months to take full effect.
When should you consider eyebrow and eyelash restoration?
As with any procedure, a good candidate is one who feels good, has ruled out underlying medical conditions, and can commit to recovery and possible activity limitations. For most procedures, candidates should refrain from tweezing and using over-the-counter hair removal products for a few days prior.
Why should you consider eyebrow and eyelash restoration?
If you’re tired of the makeup, miracle supplements, and trying to hide behind a flattering pair of glasses (real or fake), then it’s probably time to consult with a cosmetic surgeon to determine which of the numerous procedures is most appropriate for your unique concern. Passing mirrors should cause you to strike a pose-not duck and cover.
Surgical Eyebrow & Eyelash Restoration
Hair transplant for eyelash implants or eyebrow implants utilizes the same methods as hair transplants for scalp hair. Note that since hair follicles from the scalp will be used, hair growth will be consistent with head hair, necessitating regular trimming and maintenance.
Non-Surgical Eyebrow & Eyelash Restoration
For less invasive methods, an individual may consider one of many non-surgical options. Common solutions like threading and waxing can help with brow shaping. Microblading involves pigmenting skin to create the appearance of more fullness. Extensions and topical medications can also be utilized all with minimal disruption to your daily routine.
Long-lasting or even permanent eyelash enhancement and eyebrow alterations are possible through both surgical and non surgical restoration procedures. Whether your genetic code just isn’t up to snuff, you overdid it with the tweezers, or you’re looking to switch things up, a cosmetic procedure to restore and enhance eyelash and eyebrow appearance is a safe and effective way to create your ideal look.