$75 - $300
What is crystal microdermabrasion?
Crystal microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive abrasive skin resurfacing procedure to revitalize and clear the complexion. A typical crystal microdermabrasion procedure lasts about 30 minutes and uses an aluminum oxide or sodium bicarbonate tipped wand. During the treatment, a concentrated stream of crystals is gently sanded across the skin surface to exfoliate the epidermal skin layer (top skin layer), while a suction device reabsorbs the used crystals and damaged/dead skin cells. This reveals healthier skin, and encourages the body to augment collagen production.
What cosmetic concerns does a crystal microdermabrasion procedure treat?
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles: Crystal tip microdermabrasion is a mechanical exfoliation of skin cell layers to remove old and damaged cells, and encourage new cell growth and collagen production.
- Acne Scars: Crystal tip microdermabrasion can help minimize the appearance of scarring.
- Uneven Skin Tone: Crystal tip microdermabrasion treatments may be considered by those wishing to restore a more even skin tone.
- Uneven Skin Texture: Similarly, those with texture concerns could benefit from the deeply exfoliating treatment.
- Melasma: While melasma can be difficult to treat, Crystal tip microdermabrasion has proven to be an effective solution for some.
Who is the ideal candidate for a crystal microdermabrasion procedure?
The ideal candidate for a crystal microdermabrasion has minor scars, skin texture concerns, or sun damage. Crystal microdermabrasion is not recommended for those with active rosacea, eczema, dermatitis, lupus, psoriasis, herpes, acne, sunburns, or certain other skin infections or skin conditions.
What is the average recovery associated with a crystal microdermabrasion procedure?
There is little to no recovery time following a crystal microdermabrasion treatment. Redness and swelling resolve within a few hours, and dryness/flaking may persist for a few days. Patients are advised to avoid harsh or irritating skin care products and limit sun exposure for a few days following the treatment.
What are the potential side effects of a crystal microdermabrasion procedure?
Possible side effects following a crystal microdermabrasion are minimal and the procedure is usually very well tolerated. Bruising, redness, sensitivity, or excessive skin peeling may occur for several days following a crystal microdermabrasion although this is unusual.
What can someone expect from the results of a crystal microdermabrasion procedure?
The results following a crystal microdermabrasion are immediate improvements to skin texture, skin tone, and complexion. Multiple sessions separated by two to three weeks will create the best results, and maintenance treatments can be used to uphold the desired skin aesthetic once achieved.
What is the average cost of a crystal microdermabrasion procedure?
Crystal Microdermabrasion costs anywhere from $75 to $300. The actual cost of a crystal microdermabrasion is dependent upon location, provider, and length and involvement of the cosmetic procedure.
What to Expect
Crystal microdermabrasion exfoliates the skin by spraying a highly concentrated stream of crystals to remove the uneven outer layer of skin. Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after crystal microdermabrasion.
- Do not use Retin-A or other exfoliating creams for 1-3 days
- Avoid tanning and waxing for 1 week before
- No chemical peels or dermal injections for 2-3 weeks prior
- Topical numbing cream may be applied
- Hand-held device streams tiny crystals across the skin to exfoliate the face
- A suction mechanism lifts off the exfoliated skin
Immediately After Treatment
- Minor redness and swelling
Crystal microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive skin exfoliation procedure to brighten and refresh the complexion. Fine crystals are used to remove dead skin cells and promote skin rejuvenation. Crystal microdermabrasion can address minor acne scars, areas of hyperpigmentation, sun damage, and signs of aging.