Minor Surgical Procedure
$7000 - $18000
What is ARTAS® robotic hair transplant?
An ARTAS® robotic hair transplant is a robot assisted surgical hair restoration procedure to naturally improve hair volume, density, and distribution. The ARTAS® system is utilized in both planning and executing the hair transplant procedure, and is able to utilize digital imaging and artificial intelligence to simulate the possible results during consultation.
The Anatomy of a Hair Follicle
The ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant System differs from follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplantation (FUT), in that a plastic surgeon or provider is not involved in the actual extraction from donor areas and reimplantation into recipient sites. ARTAS states their technology is more precise and causes less damage to hair follicles. The procedure generally takes five to seven hours to complete. ARTAS® robotic hair transplant is the only Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved surgical hair restoration procedure for men with straight, dark hair.
What cosmetic concerns does aan ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure treat?
- Hair Loss: An ARTAS® robotic hair transplant removes and reimplants healthy individual hair follicles into balding or thinning areas of hair for restored volume and density.
- Forehead Shape & Size: Improvements to the hair and frontal hairline through an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant enhances the aesthetic of the forehead by creating a fuller, more lush hair appearance.
Who is the ideal candidate for an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure?
The ideal candidate for an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant is seeking to restore areas of baldness, thinning, and/or a receding frontal hairline. ARTAS® robotic hair transplant candidates need to have adequate hair follicles and hair growth for successful transplantation. ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant is not recommended for those with poor donor sites, or hair loss due to medication/medical treatments, stress, or any other reversible cause.
What is the average recovery associated with an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure?
Recovery time from an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant is relatively minimal. Most patients return to work and resume light exercise within seven days. Normal hair care can be resumed after 10 days. Patients should refrain from strenuous exercise, alcohol, excessive sweating, and swimming for at least one week.
What are the potential side effects of an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure?
Possible side effects from an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant include hemorrhage, infection of grafts, telogen effluvium (thinning or shedding of hair), pruritus, cyst formation, and prolonged swelling.
What can someone expect from the results of an ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant procedure?
The results of an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant start to take effect after three to four months as grafted hairs shed and begin to regrow. The majority of new hair growth will begin five to 12 months following the initial surgical hair restoration.
What is the average cost of an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure?
An ARTAS® robotic hair transplant procedure can cost anywhere from $7,000 to $18,000. The actual cost of an ARTAS® robotic hair transplant is dependent upon location, board certified plastic surgeon, and length and involvement of the surgical hair restoration. Learn more in our complete guide to hair transplant cost.
What to Expect
The ARTAS system is a completely automated hair transplant system that precisely extracts and implants hair follicles. Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after ARTAS robotic hair transplant.
- Stop using topical hair treatments for 2 weeks
- A prescription shampoo may be recommended
- Stop taking blood thinning medications for 2 weeks
- No alcohol 3 days prior
- No smoking 1 week before and after
- Patients with light hair will dye hair 3 days prior
- Consultation to create simulation of results
- Patient will sit in a chair as ARTAS system analyzes scalp
- ARTAS system will identify individual follicles for extraction
- Hairs are extracted
- Simulations created during consultation guide ARTAS system for implantation
- Procedure will take approximately 5-7 hours
Immediately After Treatment
- Swelling and discomfort
- Do not touch hair with either hands or combs