Dr. Nolan Karp graduated from Northwestern University School of Medicine in 1983. He completed his general surgery training at New York University School of Medicine. He followed this with plastic surgery, research fellowship, and microsurgery fellowship training at the Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery at New York University School of Medicine. He joined the Faculty of the Institute and NYU in 1992. For the past ten years he has been the course director for the annual Emerging Technologies in Plastic Surgery meeting.Dr. Karp has expertise in all areas of plastic surgery. He has interest in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery of the face, breast, and body. He has developed and popularized short-scar breast reduction techniques. He is on the cutting edge of the development of new surgical procedures to correct the tissue excess after massive weight loss. He is the principal investigator at NYU for the Inamed silicone breast implant adjunct study. He has an interest in both flap and implant breast reconstruction. As a trained microsurgeon he performs all flap reconstructions including perforator flaps.Dr. Karp’s current research interests include 3D imaging to improve the quality of breast reduction, reconstruction and augmentation. He is developing anesthesia techniques to shorten and improve the recovery of all breast and body procedures. He continues to improve short-scar breast reduction techniques and skin-sparing mastectomy techniques followed by breast reconstruction. Dr. Karp is also involved in studies to improve breast reconstruction with fat injections. His has recently written book chapters on male breast reduction (gynecomastia) and breast augmentation and mastopexy.
Education & Affiliations
Education & Training
- Graduate School: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Residency: New York University Med Center
- Fellowships Trained In: General Plastic Surgery, Other
- Fellowship Hospitals: New York University Med Center
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery - General
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Tisch Hospital
- New York University Medical Center, N.Y.
- Bellevue Hospital Center, N.Y.
- Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital N.Y.
Awards & Recognitions
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area Castle Connolly
- New York Magazine: Top Doctors Castle Connolly